A 24-year strategic communications and finance veteran, Tripp has extensive experience in investor, public and media relations as well as capital markets and corporate finance. As a strategic communications counselor, he has represented companies in real estate, specialty retail, footwear and apparel, hospitality, transportation, healthcare, entertainment, software, banking, heavy equipment manufacturing, advanced basic materials, cleantech and ecommerce.
His experience has included leading companies through pre- and post-IPO programs, debt and equity offerings, non-deal roadshows, crisis communications, bondholder relations, proxy fights, mergers & acquisitions, bankruptcy, shareholder lawsuits, earnings announcements, e-mail and advertising campaigns, web marketing, business development and business unit communications. Tripp also leads the design and production of annual reports, corporate branding and web sites for many of his clients. His clients have appeared on CNBC, Fox Business and Bloomberg TV, and have been profiled in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Investor’s Business Daily, numerous national trade and industry journals as well as The State of the Union address and Presidential and Cabinet-level town hall meetings.
Prior to his career as a counselor, Tripp was Director of Investor Relations for CBL & Associates Properties, Inc., where he was the primary contact for the investment community and financial media and led a very active and well-respected IR program in the REIT industry. Prior to CBL’s initial public offering in 1993, Tripp was responsible for securing permanent financing for new and existing developments, initiating new lender relationships, joint venture partner relations and analyzing sale and acquisition opportunities.
Tripp received a B.A. in Economics and Political Science with Distinction from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. An avid outdoorsman, he is also focused on supporting charitable organizations, primarily in Eastern Europe and South America. During the hockey season, Tripp can usually be found ferrying his kids to games and tournaments and closely following his beloved Nashville Predators.
- 24 years of finance, capital markets and direct investor relations experience
- 17 years experience of leading companies through proactive pre- and post-IPO investor,
public and media relations programs
- Role includes debt offerings, non-deal roadshows, crisis communications, bondholder
relations, proxy fights, mergers & acquisitions, bankruptcy, shareholder lawsuits,
earnings announcements, e-mail and advertising campaigns, web marketing, business
development and business unit communications
- Clients have been placed on: Bloomberg TV, CNBC, Fox Business, Investor's Business Daily,
New York Times, Wall Street Journal
- SVP and Principal, Corporate Communications, Inc., Nashville, 1997-2014
- Director of Investor Relations, CBL & Associates Properties, 1990-1997
- Board member of the NIRI Virtual Chapter and a member of the Subject Matter Expert Committee for NIRI's IR Certification process
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Hopeless hockey addict
- Spends any free time outdoors (preferably with a dry iPhone)
- Wonders if 20+ years of annual reports qualify as the Great American Novel
Jeff is a consumer analyst with extensive experience across the retail sector.
A law school graduate, Jeff has spent the last 20 years advising institutional investors and retail management teams on competitive positioning, strategic opportunities and earnings drivers. His work spans specialty, broadline and hardline retailing and includes benchmarking and stock selection as well as analysis of sector and economic trends.
Jeff is a seasoned leader who is passionate about adding economic value for clients through teamwork and execution. Investors know him as a consumer specialist whose proprietary work highlights growth companies and the inflections that drive value stocks. Jeff was ranked as a top five retail analyst in Institutional Investor's annual polls in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010. Management teams know Jeff as a source for investor concerns and strategy articulation. His role as a respected analyst has made him an important resource in helping investors understand growth objectives and operating levers.
Prior to joining SCR Partners, Jeff was co-director of research for Avondale Partners, where he developed initiatives that deepened client relationships, grew investment banking revenue and fostered internal talent. Prior to that Jeff led specialty retail coverage for Citigroup, Barclays Capital and Lehman Brothers, where he worked with capital markets and investment banking teams to finance retail companies, trade consumer equities and advise institutional investors.
- 16 years experience as an investment analyst; 5 years in consulting
- Expertise in large, mid and small cap consumer cyclical
- 8 years of sell-side experience covering broadline and hardline retailers
- 8 years of sell-side experience covering softline and specialty retailers
- Co-Director of Research for Avondale Partners, 2012-2014
- Lead Specialty Retail analyst for Citigroup NY (2010-2012), Barclays NY (2008-2010) and Lehman Brothers NY (2006-2008)
- Institutional Investor's All America Research Team, Specialty Retailing, 2009
- Institutional Investor's All America Research Team, Runner Up, Specialty Retailing, 2008, 2010
- Greenwich Institutional Investor Poll, top research in specialty retail
University of Tennessee School of Law, University of Tennessee
- In constant pursuit of stocks with a catalyst
- Loves swimming and music
- Wishes he kept that New York apartment